[GRASS-dev] default GUI

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 22 10:51:25 EDT 2009

Although I have softly suggested to use wxGUI for GRASS64 release
I don't really have a strong opinion on that - I was teaching with
TclTk GUI
for two semesters, this semester we use wxGUI and both
have their own issues.

One thing I found is that people who learn GRASS
with TclTk GUI have hard time using wxGUI for whatever reason
(not me - I am used to CLI and I think wxGUI is much better).
You just don't find your buttons where they used to be
and that drives people crazy.
Interestingly enough, as Michael has mentioned some time ago,
the old, colorful and somewhat amateurish looking icons are more
popular with some people than the more professional new icons.
So, I would not expect too many people switching to wxGUI with GRASS65
once GRASS64 is out with TclTk GUI - it may need to wait for GRASS7
(which may eventually work better).

As for the long RC cycle - we had that before (I would even say it
has always been
like that). It really depends on what you
focus on - if you do a lot of new development work at the same time
when working on RC candidates, that certainly prolongs the cycle.
And Hamish is right - getting winGRASS has consumed some extra time
but it is quite important,

Helena