[GRASS-dev] vtkGRASSBridge update

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 12:17:07 EDT 2009

Great stuff indeed, Soeren!

> Curiosity: how much faster is this compared to v.delaunay or likewise?

To me, it's not so much the speed that matters but functionality.
VTK's 2D Delaunay has a very useful "alpha" threshold setting to constrain
the triangle (by maximum triangle size).
In addition, it's capable of fitting a plane of reference through the data
points and does not assume that they lie perfectly in the X-Y plane.
This gives much better results for point clouds that describe e.g. micro relief
on a slope.

You can try this already, even without the VTK bridge: just export some
3D points to VTK, load into ParaView (3.6) and choose Delaunay 2D from
the "Filter" menu.

Now, if only we had a simple way of getting VTK data back into GRASS...

Ben

> Markus

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES