[GRASS-dev] [SoC] Parallelization of Raster and Vector modules

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Apr 12 13:35:28 EDT 2010

>>Jordan,
>>I've dealt with ERDAS Imagine files larger than 10 GB on a regular
basis.  I have occasionally tried to >>reproject and merge all of the 1 m
NAIP imagery tiles  for North Carolina into 1 BigTIFF > 500GB with gdal.
>> Any parallelizaion work for open source geospatial tools would be
welcome :-).
>So you "tried" to do that? Does that mean you failed or is the system
still processing it? :-P I kid, but that is a very large file... it's
bigger than my current desktop's hard drive.
Jordan,
It would be a shame to leave those multicore  64 bit processors with
multi-terabyte hard drives with nothing to challange them.  Just think of
me as part of the hardware entertainment committee. :-)
The process ran overnight and finished, I just have not gotten to phase 2
of that particular project, chopping the resulting image into overlapping
DOQQ - size images.  I was going to go back and change the projection
method slightly, hopefully to make it more accurate.  If you're looking
for big images to play with, go to http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/  and
select a naip county mosaic of imagery.  The mosaic comes as a MrSid
format file, but once you uncompress it ( I suggest using gdal's nearblack
utility ) to ERDAS Imagine format, the resulting image will probably be in
the multi-gigbyte range per county.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Jordan Neumeyer <jordan.neumeyer at mines.sdsmt.edu>
Sent by: grass-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
04/08/2010 01:09 AM

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
cc
GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject
Re: [GRASS-dev] [SoC] Parallelization of Raster and Vector modules

Thanks guys for putting that into perspective.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM, <Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS