[GRASS-dev] [SoC] Parallelization of Raster and Vector modules

Jordan Neumeyer jordan.neumeyer at mines.sdsmt.edu
Thu Apr 15 02:59:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM, <Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:

> >So you "tried" to do that? Does that mean you failed or is the system
> still processing it? :-P I kid, but that is a very large file... it's bigger
> than my current desktop's hard drive.
>
> Jordan,
>
> It would be a shame to leave those multicore  64 bit processors with
> multi-terabyte hard drives with nothing to challange them.  Just think of me
> as part of the hardware entertainment committee. :-)

Good, they need to be kept busy. Don't want to bore them. ;-)

> The process ran overnight and finished, I just have not gotten to phase 2
> of that particular project, chopping the resulting image into overlapping
> DOQQ - size images.  I was going to go back and change the projection method
> slightly, hopefully to make it more accurate.  If you're looking for big
> images to play with, go to http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/  and select a
> naip county mosaic of imagery.  The mosaic comes as a MrSid format file, but
> once you uncompress it ( I suggest using gdal's nearblack utility ) to ERDAS
> Imagine format, the resulting image will probably be in the multi-gigbyte
> range per county. <http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/>

Well that's good. It only took overnight for 500 GB? That doesn't sound too
bad. I'm not looking for huge maps, but some decent-sized samples would be
good for testing. Thanks for the resource I'll look into it if I need some
samples for testing. The warning at the bottom the site is a bit nerving
though... I'm not a government official.