[GRASS-dev] raster engine in grass7

Alessandro Frigeri afrigeri at unipg.it
Sat Apr 24 19:57:48 EDT 2010

Hi Martin and Grass devs,

I propose to consider introducing unit of measurements conversion
support in GRASS.    As far as I have found around, there are two nice
solutions that could fit:

1) GNU units support a ton of units and performs linear as well as
non-linear conversions (see http://www.gnu.org/software/units/).
Units comes with a command line interface, but does not have a library
interface -- and this can be problematic if we want to directly
convert map values.
2) Unidata's UDUNITS: it is a C library + utilities.   It has a free
software license disclaimer "The user is granted the right, without
any fee or cost, to use, copy, modify, alter, enhance and distribute
this software, and any derivative works thereof (...)" and it is
already packaged as rpm, deb   (see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-2/udunits2.html).

Having units of measurements on maps will give a more flexibility to
GRASS (e.g. mapcalc with mixed feet and meters rasters, visualization
with the favorite unit, conversion between time units).

A possible strategy could be to get r.support "units" parameter
read/validated by the library and then perform actions on maps from
there.

Any suggestions for a better solution/implementation are welcome.

Regards,

Alessandro

2010/4/24 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have moved some dev-oriented stuff relating to raster library to
> trac [1]. What is really planned for GRASS 7?
>
> * tiles
> * new layout [2]
> * partial merge with grid3d lib
> * ...
>
> ?
>
> Thanks for clarification in advance, Martin
>
> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/RasterLib
> [2] http://www.nabble.com/-GRASS5--Raster-files-suggestion%3A-new-directory-layout-td8588651.html
>
> --
> Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa