[GRASS-dev] raster engine in grass7

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 25 15:37:26 EDT 2010

Hello,

2010/4/25 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:

> Martin Landa wrote:
>
>> I have moved some dev-oriented stuff relating to raster library to
>> trac [1]. What is really planned for GRASS 7?
>
> Any changes to the raster format or structure are dependent upon a
> mechanism for reading (and possibly writing) older formats. The raster
> I/O code is already quite messy due to having to read a variety of
> different formats. Any new format/structure should replace the
> existing code rather than adding to it.
>
> My preferred approach would be for someone to write a GRASS driver for
> GDAL which doesn't depend upon the GRASS libraries. Then, we could
> eliminate the support from the libraries and rely upon r.external[.out]
> for accessing legacy data.

This is a very interesting approach. I hope this is not a silly
question and i dont know how to implement a GDLA driver, but i wonder
if this approach is able to handle concurrent simultaneously
read/write access to multi band maps?  How would such a driver look
like? Direct read and write access to the existing grass raster file
structure or the design of a new raster file format? Maybe we can
reuse an existing driver?

Best regards
Soeren