[GRASS-dev] raster engine in grass7

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Apr 25 15:08:21 EDT 2010

Martin Landa wrote:

> I have moved some dev-oriented stuff relating to raster library to
> trac [1]. What is really planned for GRASS 7?

Any changes to the raster format or structure are dependent upon a
mechanism for reading (and possibly writing) older formats. The raster
I/O code is already quite messy due to having to read a variety of
different formats. Any new format/structure should replace the
existing code rather than adding to it.

My preferred approach would be for someone to write a GRASS driver for
GDAL which doesn't depend upon the GRASS libraries. Then, we could
eliminate the support from the libraries and rely upon r.external[.out]
for accessing legacy data.

However, I don't know what GDAL's licensing policy is. Simply copying
the code from the existing libraries would place it under the GPL. It
would be better to have new code written from scratch and placed under
GDAL's MIT-style licence.