[GRASS-dev] r.watershed failing: seg fault and exit code 35584

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:39:47 EDT 2010

Martin Landa:

> Chris Carleton:
>> I haven't been able to find something in the mailing lists about this, but
>> if you know of somewhere that I can find a solution I'd appreciate the link.
>> I'm running GRASS 6.4 RC5 on Ubuntu LTS 10.04 with a Dell Precision T7500
>> Workstation. The region settings are as follows;
>
> RC5 is quite old - please try RC6 or better fresh SVN.

The Ubuntu version and grass version used are both true 64bit?
Processing over 130 million cells with r.watershed in memory and 12GB
is possible, but only if grass is compiled as a 64bit application.

SECTION 4: Watershed determination is pretty much unchanged since RC5,
the segfault might also happen in current 6.4.

The combination of threshold=10 and over 130 million cells is a bit
unusual, producing a very large number of stream segments, but AFAICT
not large enough to trigger a segfault.

Markus M