[GRASS-dev] r44766: v.what: cosmetics in output (empty lines)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 18:01:17 EST 2010

Martin:
> well, this commit just plays with empty lines in logical manner
>
> $ v.what map=archsites east_north=595743,4925281 dist=250 --q -a
>
> before
> """
>
> East: 595743
> North: 4925281

oh ok, I read the diff as removing all of the section separating
newlines; off by one is easier to handle.

I wonder if that leading newline is there in case multipile input= maps or
multiple east_north= coords are given in the single command?

for -g flag extra newlines probably shouldn't be there at all.

> If you really thinking that it can break existing scripts, I have
> problem to revert it. Anyway I can hardly imagine that it can break
> goodly written script;-)

probably I'm just overreacting. My way of thinking like a new user is
to apply the mistakes I used to make.. head | tail to chop out line number
$x was one of those scripting mistakes... unindented consequences
of seemingly harmless changes was another..

Glynn:
> I disagree. If a module has a -g flag, scripts which parse the
> "human readable" format are already broken.

BUT the -g flag will be new for the 6.4.1 release, so people running
current/earlier versions didn't have the choice.

> E.g. much of the output from v.what (without the -g flag) is localised,
> so simply changing the message catalogues (or LC_MESSAGES) will break
> the script.

I hadn't considered that, but you are absolutely correct.

anyway no big deal, I drop my objection to the commit, but the two
multiple=yes options should be tested if the new version is kept, maybe
it needs to write the newline at the start of the loop only for
any >first iteration.

Hamish