[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #908: No Font Definition File, windows xp

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 02:48:44 EST 2010

Doug Newcomb wrote:
> Many government organizations that use Windows are
> going to LUA, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700846.aspx Least-privileged
> User Account environments for most users.  Having a
> normal user need to do anything as an administrator to run a
> program is almost a show-stopper for deployment in these
> environments.
>   So, I wholeheartedly applaud anything that
> can be done to make GRASS run well under Windows without any
> administrative access.

This has certainly been our intention all along. There is some stuff yet
to figure out and work around (like adding v.patch and r.patch to the
package manifest so UAC doesn't choke on the word "patch"), but for the
most part I think we are, or at least will be, in pretty good shape.

It really helps that this has already been the UNIX model since forever,
in fact even if the multi-user stuff isn't used as much anymore, this is
the model GRASS was originally designed for. I think it would be much
harder to go the other way and try and port a large DOS+Windows codebase+
way of doing things into a UNIX ecosystem.

regards,
Hamish