[GRASS-dev] Some proposition on r.neighbour (new code)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 10 05:38:52 EST 2010

Jarosław Jasiewicz wrote:

> >> I have two propositions on r.neighbour:
> >>
> >> 1) add existing method "range" to existing methods of r.neighbors
> >>

> >> 2) add new method "percentile" and add it to existing method of r.neighbours
> >>

> > Both seem reasonable, although I'm not keen on the name of the second.
> >
> > 1. It's likely to be confused as being similar to quart1, quart3,
> > perc90 and quantile (quantile would have been named percentile if it
> > used values in the range 0-100 rather than 0-1).
> >
> maybe name "quantile" will be better,

method=quantile already exists; it calculates the value at an
arbitrary quantile specified by the quantile=... option. The following
pairs of commands are equivalent:

r.neighbors method=quantile quantile=0.25 / r.neighbors method=quart1
r.neighbors method=quantile quantile=0.50 / r.neighbors method=median
r.neighbors method=quantile quantile=0.75 / r.neighbors method=quart3
r.neighbors method=quantile quantile=0.90 / r.neighbors method=perc90

In general, where a module offers a quantile (percentile, quartile,
etc) option, the quantile is chosen by the user and the value at that
quantile is returned, so using the terms percentile or quantile alone
in this case may lead to confusion.

OTOH, I don't have any suggestions as to a better name.