[GRASS-dev] Access multiple files in a Python script file

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 18 05:35:47 EST 2010

Luis Lisboa wrote:

> Thanks Glynn. Regarding the split function, is is part of GRASS pythin
> Scripting Library or from normal Python library?

It's part of Python (it's a method of Python's string class).

> And how can I access an item from the rastermaps list? using rastermaps[0]
> and rastermaps[1]?

That will work; however, if you need to iterate over a list, use:

	for x in list:

or if you need the indices as well as the items:

	for i, x in enumerate(list):

Avoid using C-style iteration, i.e.:

	for i in xrange(len(list)):
	    x = list[i]

Operations on Python's sequence types (including strings and lists)
are documented at:

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#sequence-types-str-unicode-list-tuple-buffer-xrange

There's a Python tutorial at:

	http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

Also, refer to the existing Python scripts in GRASS 7 for examples:

	http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/scripts