[GRASS-dev] Re: d.vect.thematic

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 23 08:12:20 EST 2010

Michael Barton <Michael.Barton <at> asu.edu> writes:

> I agree with Martin...I think. But maybe rewriting the current script and
getting rid of the xmon stuff
> would get us 90% of the way there. I'm wondering if what should be done is to
just rewrite the point/line
> parts of the script and leave the choropleth maps to d.thematic.area.
d.thematic.area has a few rough
> edges, but overall it is a powerful tool.
>
> A reason to make a script that includes the point/line thematic mapping AND
wraps d.thematic.area into one
> tool is to get the legend. Currently d.thematic.area writes d.graph
instructions for the legend. A
> script could grab those and turn them into a nice legend in a wxPython
> canvas.
Or, I suppose we could just
> write a separate script to do that.

Sorry, I had to make priorities at work and have been very absent from
grass-dev in the last year. I'll try to find some time to be a bit more present
in the future.

Concerning d.thematic.area/line/point: It's good that d.thematic.area is
finally tested a bit. I know it is still in beta state at best, but I hope that
someone a bit knowledgeable can fairly quickly smooth out some of the rough
edges.

Over half a year ago I mentioned that I had actually started working on
d.thematic.linepoint (name open to discussion obviously ;-) ), but that it
still needed work. Unfortunately, I have not found the time to touch it since
(the problem being that I normally need a few days in a row to really get into
the programming mode again). Martin suggested I post the code as is to svn, but
I was a bit hesitant as I think it needs a bit more work before it can be
shared.  I will see if I can find time this week to work on it, otherwise I'll
just submit the code as is...

Moritz