[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: Bug or my fault?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Feb 23 10:37:08 EST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 4:11 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:10:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: georgew <gws293 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Re: Bug or my fault?
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Thanks Michael but I don't think this is the problem in my case, I am using
> the default DBF database, no DB connections required.

Yes. db connections are required for dbf databases too.

> Also remember that it
> all works well when I use TclTk as the GUI, and all works well when the
> number of DBF files in the mapset is less than approx 188.

Whether or not it works in TclTk is irrelevant for the wxPython GUI

> I haven't been
> able to find any other cause so far, but it could be Python related rather
> than GRASS, when I kill the GUI that hangs I get an error message to the
> effect that Python.exe is not responding. But why should the number of DBF
> files be relevant???

The number of files may or may not be relevant. My point is that it may be the vector you are trying to look at rather than the number of databases. That needs to be sorted out.

For the vector file for which you try to look at the attributes, run v.db.connect -p map=<whatever the vector map name is>

You should get a line like:

layer <1/archsites2> table <archsites2> in database </Users/Shared/grassdata/Spearfish60_test/PERMANENT/dbf/> through driver <dbf> with key <cat>
Vector map <archsites at PERMANENT> is connected by:

Then check to be sure that there really is a dbf file of the name given in the dbf folder given.

If not, run v.db.connect to connect your vector to the proper file. Then try the table manager again (you may have to restart GRASS).

If there is still a problem after you have checked and possibly fixed your vector/table connection, we can look at other causes.

Michael