[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 never-ending story

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jan 5 05:06:20 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if we can release 6.4.0, some dates
>
> last stable: 6.2.0 - 2006/10/31
>
> 6.4.0 story:
>
> rc1 - 2008/12/23
> rc5 - 2009/06/09
>
> This is absolutely *unacceptable*,

I agree, but...

> after one year from rc1 the final
> release is not ready. It's not good sign.

well: in my opinion the RC1 has been prepared too early.
It was premature to think that we are close to a release in
December 2008. Anyway...

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=type&priority=blocker&priority=critical&milestone=6.4.0&order=priority

> If nobody is going to fixed them they cannot be marked as blockers.
> Then reporter should find someone to fix them, at the end the rc-stage
> takes one year...

I see:
A) winGRASS related:

* 580 WinGRASS: $GISBASE/etc/gui/scripts/ require something like $(EXE) to run
  -> status unclear to me

* 759 r.patch non-functional in WinGRASS 6.4 svn on Vista
  -> awaiting guru comment

* 809 v.db.addtable consistently fails in winGrass
  -> apparently not reproducable?

* 843 v.digit broken on new WinGrass release
  -> contains a suggestion

B) Misc
* 72  PNG driver: boundary rendering is off by one pixel
  -> awaiting guru comment

* 384 wxGUI: vdigit crashes on a big map
  -> who can confirm?

* 461 v.to.db crashes on a shapefile connected with v.external
 -> still valid?

I personally vote for going ahead and publishing this week RC6
and after 1-2 weeks (really) the final version. A lot of patches
should go into 6.4.1 then which are already piling up.

Markus