[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: enabling non-english languages?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Jan 16 00:42:20 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Perhaps instead of getdefaultlocale() a user selectable locale should be
> implemented (see other email thread), say, from a list of available locales,
> or at least non-english (whatever it is on the user's computer) and EN
> locale.

I don't know of any other application which does this. Normally, the
application just uses the user's locale (or en_US if the user's locale
isn't supported).

> > OTOH, trying to do this from within Init.bat is probably less than
> > ideal. The attached program (link with -lkernel32) queries the locale,
> > converts it to the Unix format and writes it to stdout.
>
> This works (of course). The point is that translations should be enabled
> also for CMD line usage which requires as far as I understand a change
> in Init.bat (?).

On Windows, Init.bat should set LANG (or at least LC_MESSAGES and
LC_CTYPE). But LANG needs to be in Unix format (e.g. "ja_JP"), while
Windows provides a numeric code. So we need some way to get the
appropriate LANG value from the Windows locale setting.