[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: enabling non-english languages?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jan 16 17:53:58 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Markus wrote:
>> Perhaps instead of getdefaultlocale() a user selectable locale should be
>> implemented (see other email thread), say, from a list of available locales,
>> or at least non-english (whatever it is on the user's computer) and EN
>> locale.

[Martin has kindly added
  self.locale = wx.Locale(language = wx.LANGUAGE_DEFAULT)
which works and which reacts on $LANG etc environmental
variables. I was wrong in my assumtion that it would be a static
definition.]

> how about a drop-down menu on the GUI startup window sort of like what
> Lorenzo has on his OSX build? The value could be written to the .grassrc6
> file to be sticky & be used by terminal-only sessions (enviro vars set by
> Init.sh if .grassrc6 lang hint is present). If unset the start-up screen
> defaults to whatever enviro vars are set to, or if unset then English?

Sounds very good to me, but as you suggested elsewhere perhaps
better in
Config->GRASS working environment-> Toggle English/default language

as a GRASS session variable?

Markus