[GRASS-dev] ps.map and map background

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 05:45:54 EST 2010

Vincent Bain wrote:
> before emitting a ticket for this suggestion, I would like
> to know if ps.map allows to switch from white to any color the
> background of a map composition. Particularly I tried with
> the rectangle subcommand but it fails : the rectangle lays
> over all geographic features, whatever the precedence given
> to the command...
> Of course I can manually edit the ps file, then add a
> colored box as first ps instruction; but I would like
> to have this automated.

are you displaying a raster map at all? if so what happens if
you set the null value (nv) to some color with r.colors?
maybe the "setcolor" instruction helps with that? (I keep
on meaning to check if that still works)

another idea along the lines of the rectangle decoration is to
use v.in.region to make a big box, then display that as the
last/bottom vareas layer.

if it was to be added to a ps.map instruction I'd guess it
should belong to the "border" one as "fill_color" or so.

Hamish

ps- in case anyone finds it useful, I just added a page to the
wiki showing how to make graph paper with ps.map:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Ps.map_graph_paper