[GRASS-dev] WinGrass-Installer - definition of the destination folder?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jan 18 11:29:13 EST 2010

Hamish wrote:

> > Then release RC6 -right now-, with the default installation
> > directory as %ProgramFiles%\GRASS-64-RC6.
>
> That would be ok as the default IF we reenable the "expect (and
> please report!) problems if you put it somewhere with spaces"
> warning message for the benefit of the folks falling into (1)
> above.

That may lead people to assume that the risk is higher than it
actually is, meaning that it doesn't actually get tested.

> Users need to be given the choice if they want to be front-line
> testers or not.

Not for Windows.

Windows users are NIMBYs; they all want someone else to do the
testing.

I'd even go so far as to *require* that $GISBASE contains spaces, if
it wasn't for the fact that some languages don't have a space in
%ProgramFiles% and users may be unable to install anywhere else if
they don't have Administrator rights.

On the plus side, Windows users are accustomed to having to install
patches on a regular basis ;)

> With that warning message we'd get all three of the above in a
> single release, & without having to wait for it. It's probably
> helpful to have it there if only to mentally prepare wingrass RC
> users to expect a bit of turbulence.

FWIW, I suspect that spaces-in-pathnames bugs will probably be the
least of the problems (has anyone tried to find an actual solution to
the UAC issue yet?).