[GRASS-dev] WinGrass-Installer - definition of the destination folder?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 06:33:54 EST 2010

Hamish:
> > AFAIK there are no more major RC-blockers left

[bzzt, the wingrass lat/lon location creation has come up]

As I see it we are in need of three things-

1) a current, usable wingrass download for those needing to
get work done/teach now.

2) something that gets as much testing as possible for the
6.4.0 code with its final goals, which means exposing as many
bugs as possible, sooner rather than later.

3) A formal 6.4.0.X pre-release to act as a delta to compare
against for reversions, and a bit of a needed "we are getting
somewhere" boost. it's been half a year since the last one and
I'm sure you can hear my frustration starting to leak out...

Glynn wrote:
> Then release RC6 -right now-, with the default installation
> directory as %ProgramFiles%\GRASS-64-RC6.

That would be ok as the default IF we reenable the "expect (and
please report!) problems if you put it somewhere with spaces"
warning message for the benefit of the folks falling into (1)
above. Users need to be given the choice if they want to be
front-line testers or not.

With that warning message we'd get all three of the above in a
single release, & without having to wait for it. It's probably
helpful to have it there if only to mentally prepare wingrass RC
users to expect a bit of turbulence.

regards,
Hamish