[GRASS-dev] WinGrass-Installer - definition of the destination folder?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 18 23:42:16 EST 2010

I will report more tomorrow, but so far the winGRASS users here had a pretty smooth experience -
(except for some quirks related to t the winpython 2.5 issues (212 is needed) if they are running GRASS and ArcGIS with python 2.5).
This relates to the stand alone installer, versions before the latest one from January 15 so far.
The osgeo4w version appeared to be more problematic and we don't use it.

So the experience with winGRASS so far (we are just starting 4th semester)
has been smoother than with Mac and linux
binaries which generally require much more work and expertise to get them running.
And I don't help winGRASS users because I don't run MSWindows at all so they are
on their own.

Anyway - a notice that this is the first native Windows version of GRASS would be
certainly useful but it does not need to be too scary - rather we should make sure
that the help pages are up to date and some getting started material is on-hand.

Helena

P.S. I hope I won't get half the class tomorrow complaining that they could not get winGRASS running
in case something is broken in the latest installer.