[GRASS-dev] New option in r.neighbors

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 19 05:58:27 EST 2010

Soeren Gebbert wrote:

> > 4. There are a couple of deviations from the GRASS formatting
> > conventions (see tools/grass_indent.sh), specifically space between
> > "if" and "(" and "else" on a separate line to a preceding closing
> > brace.
>
> I german we call the coding which i have done "verschlimmbessern",
> translated into english this means "Trying to improve things but
> actually make them worse."

It's probably a useful feature; it could also be done with a
combination of the unmodified r.neighbors and r.mapcalc, but that's
inefficient if the neighbourhood is large and the selection map is
sparse.

The issues were relatively minor, given how much really horrible code
lurks within GRASS (some of it seems to exist primarily as evidence of
the saying "you can write Fortran code in any language").