[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: 'layer manager' window hidden by 'mapdisplay' windows

Jan Tošovský j.tosovsky at tiscali.cz
Tue Jan 19 12:44:19 EST 2010

> > would it be  possible to invert the stacking order of the 'layer
> > manager' window
> > and the 'map display' windows? Currently (XP, current
> 6.4.SVN), when the wxGUI
> > opens, the layer manager window is in the background.
> > To get it to the front requires several attempts in the menu bar (or
> > repositioning
> > of the 'map display' windows on the screen).
> >
> > Markus
>
> I've seen this on a couple of students' older laptops and
> assumed it was an age/laptop related item. The stacking order
> actually is set as you suggested, and on my Mac, the layer
> manager always starts on top and in the center; the first map
> display is to the upper left and under the layer manager.
> There may be a way to force this even more explicitly, but I
> don't understand why it is is getting reversed on some XP systems.

I can also confirm it on my Win XP. I've just been considering to report it
;-)
The most irritating thing is improper activation of the layer manager via
menu bar, if map display is activated. You must click three times on the bar
to get the layer manager active. If Windows task bar is clicked for the
first time, a layer manager can be seen in foreground for a while, but it is
immediately covered with the map. The second click minimizes the layer
manager to the bar and third one restores it. In the latter case the layer
manager finally stays in foreground. If the map is now activated by clicking
on the menu bar, reactivating of layer manager is Ok. But if the map window
is activated clicking into the map or window title bar, events are again
captured somehow (and you need 3 clicks to the menu bar to activate the
layer manager). So I suspect mainly some map window mouse handlers.
I've recorder short video, but it is not very clear:
http://screencast.com/t/NjU1OTQwMD

Jan