[GRASS-dev] winGRASS compilation: perl not found (needed for MAN)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 11:30:48 EST 2010

Markus wrote:
> I have reduced it to these errors here:
> htmlmapdriver.html:63
> wxGUI.html:154
> wxGUI.Vector_Digitizing_Tool.html:210

thanks,

> Those are tricky <dd> issues (too tired now),

yeah, and  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/612

(r37877 never got backported (or foreported) btw; I'm not much
of a fan of the perl version but am not being a stick in the mud
about keeping it without having been here before...)

just one last repeat of the python vs. perl dep: you can expect
to find a usable perl on any linux distro >100mb.
It is much more mature than python so you don't have to worry
about installed version much (if at all), and [as far as linux
goes anyway, and I expect OSX too] you can be pretty confident
that it will already be installed and work regardless of distro
& setup. It will be many years before you can expect the same
stability from python (esp. with 3.0+ coming) so it is less to
maintain in the long term for a branch we don't want to touch.

I will concede that for 6.5+ the default GUI is wxpy, so it is
not unreasonable to expect to find python there.

regards,
Hamish