[GRASS-dev] new wxGUI

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:57:46 EST 2010

Hi Mohammed,

i like it !!!

maybe is OT here .. but i've some ideas to share with you :

i'm working to code an "interaction" between ossimplanet and grass.
i already did a gui interface for it, but i used pyqt .. and this  is not good to have a full integration in grass.
see :

http://web.me.com/epiesasha/PlanetSasha/Project.html

- actually i'm finish to work on the gdal-ossim plug-in to have better support for ogr-grass vector rendering inside ossimplanet (raster support is already ok)
for now grass vector are rendered in ossimplanet with a fixed color , line width and point size (while polygons are not filled)
the changes on the code will give the ability to set custom settings for each layer.
The final target are simple grass-python scripts to add-remove from grass to ossimplanet both raster & vectort layers

the comand line syntax to use the scripts is like :

r.planet.py -a map=geology (add a map)
r.planet.py -r map=geology (remove a map)

similar syntax for vector layers.

(options are the tcp port number and tcp host address, if not assigned default values are used)

i'd like the idea to run this scripts in a simple and fast way directly from wx-gui,
like add an action "send to ossimplanet" using : dx-click on a layer name in the legend -> open a contextual menu -> run the action

obviously this means to change a bit the scripts reading host and port number from a "preference file" (we can generate it from the main grass-config-options )

any comments about the proposed idea are really welcome.

thanks,
Massimo.