[GRASS-dev] grass64 install for Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jan 25 10:06:22 EST 2010

On Jan 24, 2010, at 10:55 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Just a follow up on the Mac installation issues:
>
> as I mentioned several users reported problems switching from tcltk GUI to wxGUI:
> after running g.gui in all possible ways they kept getting an error message.
> It turns out that the problem was missing FFTW3 library (on Leopard only?)
> - after installing the correct version of FFTW3 everything runs fine.

Correct.  It sounded like a rc6 was imminent, and it may still be, lots of activity in the wingrass build, so I've been holding off on a rebuild of the older Leopard package to fix this.

> Another most common problem was people forgetting to install Active Tcl
> and then complaining that nviz keeps crashing. Or they thought that Active
> Tcl is needed only for Tcltk GUI and when they are running wxpython GUI it is not needed.

I could look at the ActiveState license to see if I can bundle it in GRASS (I used to do that for the X11 TclTk). It's mainly so I have 1 less thing to compile ;)

> Everything is written on the web site so there isn't really a problem as long as
> the users read carefully the instructions (what nobody does these days).
> As more OS versions and GRASS releases have been added to the web page
> people simply overlook important issues.
>
> So William and others on Mac, I am wondering whether it would help for future
> to have the instructions for Snow Leopard written in a simpler way something like this
>
> For Snow Leopard install:
>  - Unix Compatibility Frameworks: SQLite3, FreeType, UnixImageIO, PROJ, GEOS, and GDAL

Even simpler now, I just haven't updated the page yet: FreeType and GDAL Complete.

>  - ActiveTcl 8.5 (not 8.6) from ActiveState
>  - GRASS.app 64
> - sample data set from here: link
>
> (I am not sure I have it right, but I assume that Python, wxPython and FFTW3
> does not have to be installed separately)
>
> For older Mac OS X versions I would keep it as is.
>
> I am not sure that this is the best solution, others may have better ideas,

I hope it will change soon (new version) so this won't be necessary.  If it looks like rc6 is still a ways off, I can rebuild.

Thanks for the comments, it's spurred my brain a little to ponder possibilities.