[GRASS-dev] GRASS6.4 Ptyhon scripts- module

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 27 23:35:39 EDT 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >>  > 6.4 has the Python modules, but the build system doesn't support
> >>  > Python scripts (it doesn't set PYTHONPATH when executing commands).
> >>
> >> What does this means? That I won't be able to run Python Scripts in 6.4?
> >
> > You can run a Python script once you've managed to install it, but you
> > can't just drop it into the source tree, as the 6.x build system
> > doesn't support Python scripts.
>
> what is missing - any pointers?

The handling of scripts is entirely different between 6.x and 7.0.

In 6.x, a script is "made" by installing a file of the same name from
the current directory to the scripts directory. On Windows, a
corresponding .bat file is also generated.

In 7.0, the target script has a .py extension on Windows but not on
other platforms. The source script always has a .py suffix. Shell
scripts aren't supported.

If you want to include Python scripts in 6.x, the Makefile would need
to provide the necessary rules; there isn't anything in *.make (in
either 6.x or 7.0) which will help.