[GRASS-dev] Re: [SoC] Parallelization of RST modules of GRASS GIS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 16 16:41:41 EDT 2010

@all: Please consider to add material as relevant here:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GPU

>  My plan for gsoc is to this in
> OpenCL, so the project may be titled  something like "Rewriting RST modules
> of GRASS GIS in OpenCL" .

Maybe, to increase the possibility to be accepted (suggestion):

"Parallelization of GRASS GIS in OpenCL: The  RST modules case"

or so...?

> Has anyone signed up already for mentoring this project ?

Not that at know besides Helena's offer.

> I am starting to do system of linear equations now on CUDA (for GPU) .
> Please keep me posted about any information on other time consuming part of
> RST modules.

(I take liberty to cross-post Helena's answer from the SOC list here,
for the record):

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Do the system of linear equations first - it should help on several levels
> because it will also make it possible to run the interpolation with fewer larger segments
> and larger neighborhood reducing the instances when segments may be visible
> in the resulting grid.
>
> Computing grid may be time consuming for certain values of tension - I would have to look at it.
> Checking the interpolating function at given points should be made optional - it depends on how
> many points there are - it could take as much time as computing the grid.
>
> Finding points should not take too much time unless the spatial distribution of points
> is very heterogeneous, but I would have to look at it.
>
> you can write me off-this list (maybe cc to GRASS dev list) as SoC list is mostly
> to organize GSoC (at least that is how I understand its purpose),
>
> Helena
>

> Helena Mitasova
> Associate Professor
> Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695
> hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu

Best,