[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 blocker bugs

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu May 20 11:48:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Paul Kelly wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
>>> Does this sound acceptable for now - in particular are there any
>>> differences between Pulkovo 1942 and Pulkovo 1942 (58) that are worth
>>>  worrying about?
>>
>> I don't know.
>
> OK well I will guess that any differences are not relevant for us here, and
> will see about adding the equivalence of Pulkovo_1942_58 and Pulkovo_1942 to
> SVN.

Actually it is a bit more complicated than this. According to the EPSG
database, Pulkovo_1942 is used in the following countries:
Armenia; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Estonia; Georgia; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyzstan;
Latvia; Lithuania; Moldova; Russian Federation; Tajikistan; Turkmenistan;
Ukraine; Uzbekistan.
and Pulkovo_1942_58 is used in the following countries:
Albania; Bulgaria; Czech Republic; Germany (former DDR); Hungary; Poland;
Romania; Slovakia.

So it seems to me that we should have two separate datum entries in GRASS,
and that it is arguably a bug treating them both as one.

I would appreciate some suggestions on what the GRASS abbreviation for
Pulkovo 1942 (58) should be; for Pulkovo 1942 it is S-42 - which IMHO is
not nice as it has a capital letter in it, but of course we can't change
it without breaking existing locations.

Paul