[GRASS-dev] r.sim.water options

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue May 25 09:05:36 EDT 2010

I have two questions regarding r.sim.water.

First, what are "walkers". How does the nwalk parameter affect the
analysis? It seems that with a region larger than a few million cells,
the module fails, regardless of the nwalk parameter. (I have a region of
just over 8 M cells, and even with nwalk=1, it fails with ERROR: nwalk
(7000001) > maxw (7000000)! )
But when I reduce the region to < 7M cells then the nwalk parameter
helps, and the analysis succeeds.

Next (asked on the grass-user list, but no response yet):
Is there a way to create a surface flow model where the rainfall stops
after a specified time, and the model continues to run, and creates
depth and discharge rasters after the actual rainfall has stopped?

i.e. in the case of a short thunderstorm, I want to try to predict the
extent of a flash flood that rises, then subsides some time after the
rain has ended.

Thanks,
Micha

--