[GRASS-dev] Re: Possible to update to 6.4 stable on UbuntuGIS ppa repo?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 20:17:20 EDT 2010

Isaac wrote:
>  I'm not sure who maintains the compiled binaries on the
> ubuntugis ppa repository,

Often packages filter in straight from DebianGIS (thanks to
Francesco Lovergine), but the UbuntuGIS packages are shepherded
in by Alan Boudreault. Coordination for UbuntuGIS is on the
ubuntu at lists.osgeo dot org mailing list.
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS

> so I'm addressing this request to the whole list. Currently,
> the version of GRASS64 on the ppa is RC6-2. Given that 64
> stable has just been released, it would be nice to have the
> stable version put up to the PPA.

we're working on it, I expect it will be in UbuntuGIS's unstable
ppa soon.

> For whatever reason the weekly snapshot does not install
> correctly on Ubuntu (hasn't for some time now). It always
> spews out a proj error when you launch GRASS.

it's not entirely surprising that the binary snapshot would give
problems if the exact library versions were not in place same
as what the package was built with, even though the build platform
(debian/stable) is not too far from ubuntu.

> I have tried today to compile 64 stable from source (on Ubuntu
> 10.04), but keep getting an annoying error during config that
> it can't find my gdal libs (even though they are installed in
> the normal place, and I've run ldconfig, etc..).

works for me,
 ./configure  --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.5 \
  --with-cairo --with-motif \
  --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.6-config --with-readline \
  --with-cxx --with-odbc --with-sqlite --with-freetype \
  --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
  --without-postgres --with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
  --enable-64bit --with-pthread \
  --with-wxwidgets=/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 \
  --with-geos

have a look at the end of the config.log file for clues.

> Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the compile issues, but
> regardless, it would be nice for Ubuntu users to have the
> ability to install 64 stable through apt-get or the package
> manager, and would be much less of a head ache to install than
> compiling.

have a look at the package building instructions in the debian/
dir of the GRASS source code. It's almost a one-liner to make
your own .deb packages.

> So I suppose this is a request to whomever it is that maintains
> those packages to upgrade them to the current stable version...

no worries,
Hamish