[GRASS-dev] swig

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 21 03:19:56 EDT 2010

Hello Mohammed,
maybe you can use the vtk-grass-bridge? The vtk-grass-bridge is a
VTK/C++ wrapper around grass gis to provide direct access to grass
library in C++, Python and Java. So many GRASS GIS library functions
are available using this interface in Python, currently  the raster-,
vector-, voxel-, gis- and dbmi-libraries.
Have a look at:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/

Here are some unit tests which show how to handle raster, vector and
the dbmi interface using the vtk-grass-bridge:

This is a test for raster map read - write access:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Raster/Testing/Python/GRASSRasterMapReaderWriterTest.py

This is a test for vector read access:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Vector/Testing/Python/GRASSVectorMapTopoReader.py

This test shows how to use the dbmi interface:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/DBMI/Testing/Python/vtkGRASSDbmiInterfaceReaderTest.py

This test shows the command line interface functionality:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Common/Testing/Python/GRASSModuleTest.py

Here the C++ code of a VTK class which reads grass vector maps as
vtkPolyData and adds vector table columns as cell data.

I hope this may help you a bit. But i must warn you, GRASS GIS library
and so the vtk-grass-bridge is not designed to implement persistent
applications like a GUI using the library functions directly.
Feel free to ask any questions about the vtk-grass-bridge.

Best regards
Soeren