[GRASS-dev] library so file name scheme and GDAL-GRASS plugin

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 20 09:55:33 EDT 2011

Martin Landa wrote:

> > That's nice, I forgot. However, eventually a new GDAL-GRASS plugin would
> > be needed and all packagers be informed.
>
> right, GRASS 6 building system should probably produced also
> unversioned library names.

I'd suggest installing a script which generates the unversioned names.
If we generate the symlinks autmatically:

1. If something uses the unversioned name by mistake, we don't get an
error.

2. Windows builds will end up with two copies of each library (the
MSys version of "ln" simply copies the file).

For GRASS itself, #2 is mostly harmless; the unversioned copies will
be unused (they should be omitted from binary packages).

But the GDAL-GRASS plugin probably won't work, as the plugin will be
linked against the unversioned libraries while the unversioned
libraries will be linked against the versioned libraries. So any
process using the plugin will end up pulling in both copies, and each
copy will have its own distinct set of global variables.