[GRASS-dev] Create new branch from trunk for temporal GIS integration

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 22 08:15:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Soeren Gebbert
<soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> i would like to create a new branch from trunk to integrate the
> suggested temporal extension[1].
>
> The integration of the time dimension into grass7 requires changes in
> the underlying libraries, several modules, additional files and config
> entries in mapsets and the $GISBASE/etc directory. Main goal is an
> integration approach without breaking any compatibility in the API or
> module usage.

I would try to avoid having yet another branch, three is maybe already
one too much. IMHO, the most important question is whether we want to
add the time dimension in GRASS. If this finds sufficient support, I
would rather opt to modify trunk directly because compatibility will
be maintained when adding the temporal extension and trunk can be used
as before. In this case, another branch may cause more trouble than
good.

+1 for adding time dimension

my2c

Markus M