[GRASS-dev] v.out.ogr exports more features than available

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:16:54 EST 2011

OK. When creating a new test dataset I understood where's the problem:
v.clean rmdupl will remove duplicate geometries and will merge
categories resulting in single geometry, multiple categories
(acceptable in GRASS)
v.out.ogr can not export multiple categories to Shapefile as it
doesn't support such construct. v.out.ogr "fixes" it by duplicating
geometry and assigning one of categries (+ rest of attributes) to
cloned geometry thus one geometry = two cats turn to two geometries =
single cat for each.
It makes sense from data preservation point, still it might be
confusing to see that v.out.ogr can export more features than are
present in vector dataset (needs a warning here!) and it might totally
ruin cleaned data as I was using GRASS only to remove duplicate
features from the data set.

Sometimes GRASS vector model is too powerful...

Sorry for noise,
Maris.