[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:36:47 EST 2011

2011/12/14 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
>> My rationale is that I and others use the addons directory as a place to store our own bash/python scripts. These are not installed by g.extension. It is a royal pain putting them into a hidden directory and managing them there. Many Mac users do not know how to access such hidden directories. Even it you do, you cannot use the finder to do so without altering all hidden directories with a script. You can access such directories in the GUI file systems of linux systems I've used.

This is not really the reason why g.extension should not install
extensions to the hidden directory

> you can put it everywhere you want and then modify GRASS_ADDON_PATH to
> point to this directory. Probably wxGUI could have some extra
> functionality for that - install local scripts.

What about wxGUI's 'File -> Launch script'

This function could

* check if directory with the script is in GRASS_ADDON_PATH
* if not ask user whether he/she wants to add this directory to
GRASS_ADDON_PATH (.grass.bashrc for G6 or .grass7/bashrc for G7)

What do you think?

Martin