[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 19:48:47 EST 2011

Martin wrote:
> * if not ask user whether he/she wants to add this
> directory to GRASS_ADDON_PATH (.grass.bashrc for G6 or
> .grass7/bashrc for G7)

it doesn't work to put GRASS_ADDON_PATH into .grass.bashrc,
you need to export it from your ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile.
(and it is too invasive to start appending to those automatically)

it needs to be set before init.sh/grass.py gets run.

my plan for trunk was to rename GRASS_ADDON_PATH (taken over
by g.extension.py) to GRASS_ADDON_BASE, then re-add
GRASS_ADDON_PATH as a $PATH component, if it exists. if it was
not already set then nothing is added to the environment.. it's
there if you want to use it, and not if you don't.

that does not preclude the wxGUI having a Preference setting
to add some dirs to the copy of the $PATH it maintains, starting
with any existing GRASS_ADDON_PATH enviro variable that was
there when it launched.

Hamish