[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 14 20:16:39 EST 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>> * if not ask user whether he/she wants to add this
>> directory to GRASS_ADDON_PATH (.grass.bashrc for G6 or
>> .grass7/bashrc for G7)
>
> it doesn't work to put GRASS_ADDON_PATH into .grass.bashrc,
> you need to export it from your ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile.
> (and it is too invasive to start appending to those automatically)

It is not good to mess with these on the Mac unless you know what you are doing. That rules out most Mac users.

> it needs to be set before init.sh/grass.py gets run.
>
> my plan for trunk was to rename GRASS_ADDON_PATH (taken over
> by g.extension.py) to GRASS_ADDON_BASE, then re-add
> GRASS_ADDON_PATH as a $PATH component, if it exists. if it was
> not already set then nothing is added to the environment.. it's
> there if you want to use it, and not if you don't.
>
> that does not preclude the wxGUI having a Preference setting
> to add some dirs to the copy of the $PATH it maintains, starting
> with any existing GRASS_ADDON_PATH enviro variable that was
> there when it launched.

All this is fine. However, GRASS_ADDON_BASE should not be a hidden file on a Mac. It is problem enough that preferences are there if you ever have to mess with them outside of the GRASS GUI.

Michael