[GRASS-dev] path name containing spaces - error on windows 7

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 18:51:10 EST 2011

Margherita wrote:
> I'm reporting an error on behalf of a student.
> She tried to install Wingrass 6.4RC2 on her
> Windoze 7 machine and got the following error[1]
> when trying to launch the program: Path names
> containing spaces are not supported. Problem is
> that she has confirmed all the default paths
> during installation, also for grass data set.
> Several students did the same also on Win 7
> without problems. So, what's wrong? Please help..

you mean starting GRASS itself?

the error message is because MSys doesn't like
to be in C:\Program Files\ (it wants to be in e.g.
C:\osgeo4w\) and comes from mswindows/osgeo4w/msys.bat

but, GRASS-Packager.bat should have run:
rem delete msys.bat from osgeo4w because there is an adaption (for spaces in installation path) written by GRASS-Installer.nsi
del %PACKAGE_DIR%\msys\msys.bat

?

does the same happen with the nightly build of
6.4svn wingrass? maybe it is an osgeo4w packaging
thing??

Hamish