[GRASS-dev] path name containing spaces - error on windows 7

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 07:17:35 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Margherita wrote:
> > I'm reporting an error on behalf of a student.
> > She tried to install Wingrass 6.4RC2 on her
> > Windoze 7 machine and got the following error[1]
> > when trying to launch the program: Path names
> > containing spaces are not supported. Problem is
> > that she has confirmed all the default paths
> > during installation, also for grass data set.
> > Several students did the same also on Win 7
> > without problems. So, what's wrong? Please help..
>
> you mean starting GRASS itself?
>
> the error message is because MSys doesn't like
> to be in C:\Program Files\ (it wants to be in e.g.
> C:\osgeo4w\) and comes from mswindows/osgeo4w/msys.bat
>
> but, GRASS-Packager.bat should have run:
> rem delete msys.bat from osgeo4w because there is an adaption (for spaces
> in installation path) written by GRASS-Installer.nsi
> del %PACKAGE_DIR%\msys\msys.bat
>

> ?
>
> does the same happen with the nightly build of
> 6.4svn wingrass? maybe it is an osgeo4w packaging
> thing??

Hamish, thanks for answering. The problem is both in
WinGRASS-6.4.2RC2-1-Setup.exe
from [1] and on daily WinGRASS-6.4.SVN-r49821-1-Setup.exe from [2]. Problem
raises starting GRASS. Then, GRASS starts without the terminal.

Thanks for any hint,
madi

[1] http://grass.fbk.eu/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/
[2] http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass64/