[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.1 RC1 d.legend

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Jan 9 14:46:08 EST 2011

So far, everything works really well and the command line console is a huge help.

The only command that is giving me trouble (and I got lots of complaints about it from the students)
is d.legend as it has somewhat erratic behavior,
sometimes things work sometimes they don't depending on order how the options are given, for example:

- after accidentally running d.legend from command console which correctly gives error,
it gets stuck when trying to do it from GUI and you have to completely quit GRASS to get it working again
(see traceback below)

- once the legend is moved by hand part of the settings given by at= are ignored

- "use a subset" is ignored from GUI if user tries to change it after it was run already,
or it would respect the just max value but not the min value (this may be just user error
due to conflicting set of parameters)

- to address the two above issues perhaps a clean all parameters button for d.legend would be useful

- another issue is that it assigns smooth gradient to CELL map by default unless the individual cats are given
(e.g., for geology converted from vector, for landuse it works fine) - perhaps this is the desired behavior?

- a small wish: people have trouble finding how to resize the legend (and as I understand it, this cannot
be done by mouse) - perhaps using the following text in the GUI
" Placement and Size (in perc. of screen coordinates)" instead of just "Placement" would help the users.

Helena

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/Shared/src/GRASS/grass-6.4.1RC1-snow/dist.i386
-apple-darwin10.5.0/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/layertree.py",
line 218, in OnIdle

self.mapdisplay.MapWindow.UpdateMap(render=True)
  File
"/Users/Shared/src/GRASS/grass-6.4.1RC1-snow/dist.i386
-apple-
darwin10.5.0/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/mapdisp_window.py",
line 777, in UpdateMap

gcmd.GError(message = e)
  File
"/Users/Shared/src/GRASS/grass-6.4.1RC1-snow/dist.i386
-apple-darwin10.5.0/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py", line
76, in __init__

reason, exception),
TypeError
:
unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'GException' and
'unicode'