[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.1 RC1 testing, wishes

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 17:28:04 EST 2011

Helena wrote:
> - am I right that d.barscale has no option to set its size
> ?
> (I know it did not have it, but I get asked about it often
> so I want to make sure
>   I haven't overlooked something)

Yes, that is correct. It is set automatically from the width of the
current frame in map units. It should give you something nice;
does it not? that's a serious question, not trying to be
defensive about it- the rendering is pixel based so not much use
for the PostScript display driver, or d.out.file with 4x sizing
then reduced.

ps.map does give you the option to choose the length (in map units). it's a lot more work (and rather a pain..) but gives you
exactly what you ask for. I sort of see the d.* modules as quick
and dirty on-screen display, while ps.map as more catering to cartography which demands exactitude, so haven't been motivated
much to change either one.

Hamish