[GRASS-dev] wxNviz volumes

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 1 23:16:22 EDT 2011

On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Anna Kratochvílová wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> - I tried volumes in wxnviz but I did not get too far - the GUI does not see any
>> of my 3d rasters -
>> the browser for 3D raster maps shows the mapsets but nothing in them
>
> It should be ok now.

It still does not work for me - when I am setting the 3D region (from set region to match this 3D raster) they show up,
but not when I try to add it under wxnviz>Volume. Am I missing something? Should I be adding them as map layers
first somewhere?

> I haven't tested volumes yet, but I saw that  "slices" are not implemented yet, is this another name for cross-sections or it's another functionality?

It is crossections - we called them slices because you are "slicing" through the volume
but I guess that cross-sections is a more appropriate term - I have a few examples here:
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/publwork/MitSTCfigs2.ppt
It is pretty important part of volume visualization.

>> - there appears to be an issue with automatic loading of raster when opening the
>> Data Tab:
>> -- I have map1 and map2 in GIS manager.
>> -- I switch off map1 but I keep map2 on
>> -- switch view to 3d.
>> -- wxnviz opens correctly with map2
>> -- when I switch to tab Data, map1 is loaded as raster map - I would have
>> expected map2
>> --I tried with more rasters and it looks like it
>> always picks up the raster that was added the first  (it is lowest in the list)
>> rather than the one which is highlighted
>
> I tried to fix this. Loading and unloading maps is a bit tricky and I'm afraid there are more such bugs.

this works now for various combinations and multiple surfaces as well

>> -nviz2/cmd does not compile, when I run make on it I get the following
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/../Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacTypes.h:503:
>> error: redefinition of ‘struct Rect’
>> lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of:
>> /var/folders/-w/-wN910nTFamsDLR+fBkvB++++TI/-Tmp-//ccw2Iwjp.out
>> make: *** [OBJ.i386-apple-darwin10.7.0/vector.o] Error 1
>>
>> nviz does not compile either ( I have some issue with my TclTk ), perhaps that
>> is causing problems with nviz_cmd?
> .
> Nviz_cmd is not connected with TclTk. Concerning the problem with compilation I'm afraid I cannot help. It might be connected with the changes in nviz_cmd vectors done by Martin recently and I'm sure he would now better how this could be solved.

OK, I will wait for this, it still complains about struct Rect

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/../Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacTypes.h:503: error: redefinition of ‘struct Rect’
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/folders/-w/-wN910nTFamsDLR+fBkvB++++TI/-Tmp-//cc4KN3CM.out
make: *** [OBJ.i386-apple-darwin10.7.0/vector.o] Error 1

Thank you, Helena