[GRASS-dev] wxNviz volumes

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 23:59:09 EDT 2011

Helena wrote:
> It is crossections - we called them slices because you are
> "slicing" through the volume
> but I guess that cross-sections is a more appropriate term
> - I have a few examples here:
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/publwork/MitSTCfigs2.ppt
> It is pretty important part of volume visualization.

Hi,

slightly off-topic, but something I've been wondering about-

do you have any good strategies for semi-automatically choosing
isosurface levels? or do you just pick them by eye?

perhaps 9 slices by histogram of values?
 r3.univar precentile=`seq -s"," 5 10 95`
?

or is a linear split like for standard 2D contour lines less
confusing for the viewer to understand?

(I'm working with heavily vertically stratified data and the
linear approach isn't working very well)

thanks,
Hamish