[GRASS-dev] G3d library code review and raster lib tile approach

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:03:39 EDT 2011

Hi Glynn,
i hope i don't bother you to much about GDAL-GRASS raster implementation. :)

>> How is the performance of this approach compared to the native raster
>> I/O in GRASS?
>
> It depends entirely upon the format and the usage. E.g. compressed
> formats such as PNG are likely to be inefficient if you try to skip
> rows.

Pleas excuse my little knowledge about GDAL but an important point to
change the grass raster row approach was to enable random access for
single values using tiles? Will the GDAL approach provide such
capabilities? What kind of new function will be available with GDAL?

>> Should such a strong external dependency really be considered?
>
> GDAL is already almost mandatory.

I know little about GDAl community but would the GDAL community accept
that GRASS GIS core functionality will be part of GDAL? So GRASS
developer/documenter who need to fix bugs or try to improve GRASS
raster library need to have write access to the GDAL repository? Will
GRASS depend on GDAL release cycles in case of stable version?

Best regards
Soeren