[GRASS-dev] wxNviz volumes

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:29:02 EDT 2011

Helena,

On Jul 4, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Anna,
>>
>> I did some further testing. SVN from the past hour.
>>
>> 1) Volumes. These loaded OK. When I move them around in the view, I can see the bounding cube. But I can't see any isosurfaces
>
> Mike, make sure that you set the value of your isosurface, then add it and set polygon resolution to 1 - I have the isosurfaces loading at 3
> and only very little shows up, but they pop-up at full resolution.
> Also your isosurfaces may be under your surface (if you have any), you would have to change the surface position for now,
> as the position is not implemented for volumes yet.
> Finally, make sure you have the 3D region set up correctly - I find it rather tricky now when we have res3 for all
> and you need to over ride it by tbres if you want different resolution vertically. 3D region setting may need some tune up.

Well, for this reason, I was testing in a mapset where I'd done 3D work previously and had it displayed with the old NVIZ. But I'll look more closely at all the settings to make sure that it's OK.

>> or "slides" (slices?).
> this might not have been implemented yet.
>
>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but nothing appears no matter how I set it.
>>
>> 2) Fringe. I was able to get the height to update on my SRTM of the Jordan River valley, but cannot see any changes at all when I apply it to the Spearfish 10m DEM. Also, there are some places where the top does not match the topography. I'm attaching an image from the Spearfish elevation10m DEM to illustrate what I'm talking about. The top edge of the fringe follows the topography in some places, but cuts from a peak to a place in a valley (not the bottom) to the left of the peak. This may be an OpenGL issue, but should be looked into for this to be useful.
>
> the bad top edge of the fringe has been there from the very beginning - it may be computed based on coarse resolution -
> it may be worth to check whether it is still a problem with a very small DEM when everything is loaded at resolution 1.
> But it may be something entirely different and goes beyond wxnviz. Of course it would be great to find a fix.
>>
>> 3) Graphic output (follow up on Hamish's post of earlier today). It works!! That is good. But it only seems to work for PPM. The Tif file that it creates will not open (tried in GIMP and Apple Preview).
>
> I can open the saved tif with Preview

It gave me an error. I remember this happening before. It turns out that the "tif" file is really a ppm. If I change the extension to *.ppm it open fine in GIMP and Graphic Convertor.

>> As Hamish notes, other formats would be welcome--jpeg and png especially.
>
> yes, especially for MSWindows users without tiff support.
>

>> 4) Your point is well taken about adjusting one image versus adjusting all of them. But I'll make one more pitch for putting position onto the view page. It moves around images in the window to position them in different ways. This is what happens in the view window. Perhaps I'm unusual in this, but when I'm positioning the images (i.e., with the position tool), I also want to move them around with the view puck, adjust height, etc. When I'm changing image display properties (drape map, transparency, resolution, etc.), I'm less likely to be messing with positioning. But that's just me. How do others normally work with 3D images?
>
> I haven't looked into this. I will try it next.
>>
>> I'm not getting the terminal chatter that Markus reported. Maybe it's been fixed in the interim. The only thing I get is the following when I launch GRASS
>>
>> Launching 'wxpython' GUI in the background, please wait...
>> GRASS 7.0.svn (Spearfish60_test):~ > Mon Jul  4 12:14:16 cmb-MBP-3.local pythonw2.6[3540] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
>> Mon Jul  4 12:14:16 cmb-MBP-3.local pythonw2.6[3540] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
>> Mon Jul  4 12:14:16 cmb-MBP-3.local pythonw2.6[3540] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
>> Mon Jul  4 12:14:16 cmb-MBP-3.local pythonw2.6[3540] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
>> Mon Jul  4 12:14:16 cmb-MBP-3.local pythonw2.6[3540] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
>>
>> ...and the following when I quite the GUI after running wxNviz
>>
>> pythonw2.6(3540,0xa070e540) malloc: *** error for object 0x21d0d980: pointer being freed was not allocated
>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>
> that is what I am getting too but it is not causing any problems.

Right.

Michael