[GRASS-dev] Re: display text in wxNviz

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jul 13 05:34:49 EDT 2011

Maris Nartiss wrote:

> I'm sorry to disappoint You. I have no idea about X or OpenGL
> programming. All I know is that XLoadQueryFont() returns NULL on valid
> font names. On my Gentoo system xfontsel also doesn't work. (Are other
> programs using different method to find system fonts for X?)

XLoadQueryFont() and xfontsel only work for X11 fonts. They don't work
for client-side fonts (which is what most modern toolkits and
applications use).

Most modern GUI toolkits rely upon high-level libraries such as Pango,
FontConfig and/or FreeType for text. Use of X11 fonts is now
sufficiently uncommon that some Linux distributions don't install any
X bitmap fonts by default.