[GRASS-dev] Segmentation fault using v.in.lidar

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:01:56 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Pierre Roudier
<pierre.roudier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doug, Markus,
>
> Thanks for the interesting discussion,
>
>> In the short term, use the las2las command from liblas.org  to merge your .las files into a single las file and then process the one file.
>>

> Yes at the moment, my workflow is:
>
> ls ID_*.las > las_list.txt
> lasmerge -i las_list.txt -o out.las
> v.in.lidar in=out.las out=lidar -trb
>
> Works very well. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to use
> wildcards directly in the input=... option. Obviously it requires some
> significant amount of work.

...only if wildcard support is to be included in v.in.lidar. Your
example above is only three short lines. Put them in a little script
with one input option las_files and one output option vector, that's
it.

>> You will have to watch out for the 4 billion point limit that is currently in the LAS file format, but for most folks that's not an issue.
>>

> Indeed, not an issue for me (unfortunately!),
>
>> In all GRASS versions, the limit with topology is at  2^31 -
>> 1 (about 2 billion) features.
>
> I usually never build the topology of my LiDAR point clouds. Should I do it?

No, only if needed, i.e. if you want to process the imported point
clouds with a module that needs topology.

Markus M