[GRASS-dev] Segmentation fault using v.in.lidar

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:06:32 EDT 2011

Doug, Markus,

Thanks for the interesting discussion,

> In the short term, use the las2las command from liblas.org  to merge your .las files into a single las file and then process the one file.

Yes at the moment, my workflow is:

ls ID_*.las > las_list.txt
lasmerge -i las_list.txt -o out.las
v.in.lidar in=out.las out=lidar -trb

Works very well. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to use
wildcards directly in the input=... option. Obviously it requires some
significant amount of work.

> You will have to watch out for the 4 billion point limit that is currently in the LAS file format, but for most folks that's not an issue.

Indeed, not an issue for me (unfortunately!),

> In all GRASS versions, the limit with topology is at  2^31 -
> 1 (about 2 billion) features.

I usually never build the topology of my LiDAR point clouds. Should I do it?

Cheers,

Pierre