[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r46717 - grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/scripts/v.build.all

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 04:32:38 EDT 2011

> >> >     CMD="v.build map=${VECT}@${MAPSET}"

Hamish:
> > ps- those curly brackets do nothing..

Markus M:
> also no harm

yes and no-
sure it's a minor issue, but they help propagate
the myth that curly brackets can be used to safely
quote shell variables, which is harmful & also has
the consequence of folks looking right past them
when they try to debug a script with e.g. spaces in
the filename variable. Mostly I bring this up
because I have grown tired of fixing them, and hope
that illuminating the problem can make it go away.

fwiw, all module shell scripts have been audited
and to my knowledge are now all quoted safely- so
these thoughts are directed at newly committed code.

thanks,
Hamish